Removing the blockbuster Facebook/WhatsApp deal from the M&A record reveals a sellers’ market, with 11 mobile internet sectors seeing over $1B M&A in the last 12 months. Of the remaining $28B, $13.8B was in Q2 2014, continuing the long term growth from $1.8B in Q2 2013.
Continuing the theme of big numbers, mobile internet has seen >$14B invested in the last 12 months. Hot sectors such as travel/transport, utilities, and mCommerce have lead the charge, but even smaller sectors are seeing hundreds of millions of dollars. The $5.5B invested in Q2 2014 was also continuing a long term growth trend from $1.4B in Q2 2013.
If you’re looking for Digi-Capital’s quantitative investment research (revenue forecasts, public company/M&A valuation comparables, public market indices, operational metrics, M&A transactions, investment transactions), details are in our Mobile Internet Investment Review.
This is part 2 of a 5 part series:
- Mobile internet to grow over 300% to $700B in 4 years (revenue forecasts by sector)
- Mobile internet record deals >$47B M&A and $14B invested (M&A and investment analysis)
- Mobile internet Investment Quadrant: hidden opportunities (investment and consolidation potential by sector)
- The 5 drivers of $700B mobile internet (business models and metrics)
- Over 20 “billion dollar” mobile internet companies (competitive advantages and risks)